Spatial Data Engineer
GEOLYTIX is looking for a Spatial Data Engineer to help us build exciting new data products and support our retail modelling function. Open Data and Open Source technologies are at the heart of all our internal processes. Therefore, our ideal candidate will have good knowledge of most of the following:
- at least one general-purpose programming language like Python, Scala, Java, C#
- spatial databases: PostGIS, SpatiaLite, GeoPackage
- exchange formats: WKT/CSV, geojson, GML, GeoTIFF
- spatial toolboxes: GRASS GIS, QGIS / PyQGIS, advanced PostGIS functions / PostGIS Topology, R packages such as rgdal
- UNIX shell, Windows command line
- OpenStreetMap data schema, import & processing
And importantly, the ability to explain a data processing problem to anyone using none of the technical terms above
Desirable skills include:
- database maintenance and query performance optimisation
- machine learning & natural language processing techniques
- good grasp of basic statistical concepts such as distributions, regression and significance testing
- web technologies and data mining techniques: HTML, XML/JSON APIs, etc.
- experience with common numerical problems in the retail industry, e.g. demand estimation, forecasting models, customer segmentation
As Spatial Data Engineer you will work with our data scientists and location analysts to set the data strategy for products or client projects, owning the entire processing pipeline from raw data retrieval to final deliverable.
You will be tasked with promoting automation within the business, shaping how efficiently GEOLYTIX does data in the future.
No single day will be like the other. We need a real team player, who knows when to design a solution independently and when to ask for input from others. Besides the freedoms when tackling everyday technical challenges, you will have the opportunity to advance your skill set in data infrastructure design and/or numerical modelling. Whichever direction you choose, GEOLYTIX will make sure you are always ahead of the game through internal workshops, training courses and attendance of conferences such as FOSS4G.
We are looking for candidates from all levels of experience.
The role can be full or part time. We have offices in London, Kings Cross and Leeds and the role can be located in either. You’ll also need to travel to where our customers are.
Send your CV and covering email to firstname.lastname@example.org – we’re looking forward to hearing from you.
No agencies thank you.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.